Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A thrifty Christmas Decoration DIY

If you liked the gold leaves in my recent gift wrapping post, then you will hopefully love this too! I had gathered up loads of leaves when in Richmond Park at the weekend, so I decided to make a leaf garland for the mantlepiece.  We are frantically saving for our wedding in June, so spending money on decorations this year wasn't really an option. So this is pretty much a free idea which I think looks subtle but glamourous! All you need is a can of gold spray paint, I got mine in Homebase for less than £2.

So to make: When I got my bag of leaves home I went through and picked out all the best shaped ones, discarding any that were too ripped up.  I then laid them on a baking tray and put them in the oven on a low temp for literally a couple of minutes, just to get the excess water and any dampness off them. Next, the fun bit! There is something really satisfying about spray painting stuff! And I love how it *leaves* (haha! get it!) a stenciled pattern underneath the leaf....


Leave the paint to dry for around an hour or so and then all you need to do is get a needle and thread and stitch together your leaves into a garland! simples! Mix up the sizes of the leaves and you can overlap some for a fuller look if you like. I also added in a few triangles of vintage sheet music to break it up and add interest. And thats it! get hanging! 

To continue with the gold theme, I also made a few mini paper pom poms. Again super cheap to do and look really effective - giving your room a festive but understated and classy look! 

And of course you don't have to paint your leaves gold, you can go for any color you like! So there you go! Who says Christmas has to be an expensive time of year?! xxx

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Simple, stylish, easy... three of my favourite DIY words.

    And, am I going crazy, or have you updated your site? Looks absolutely fantastic.

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elena! Thx yes it's so easy!! And pretty much free to do! Yes blog and the patchwork harmony site have both had revamps in the last few months! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oooh so pretty. I'm going to try and decorate my home 100% for free, so this is a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll find leaves as soon as, I loved it... This is simple but it looks great....
    Thaks o lot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so pretty! I have some gold spray paint so might have to try this out at the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vous avez surement des professionnels qui s'occupent de l'écriture de vos articles car les expressions sont bien soignées et le sujet est bien dévelloppé, ce qui encourage à terminer la lecture jusqu'à la fin..merci pour cet article!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what u done with the leaves, by the way 91 getting better and better each time, still reading it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awh thank you Margarita! and the mag has been shortlisted for an award! find out the winner tomorrow night! fingers crossed for me! :)
      Caroline xx

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover